Saturday 28 February 2009

Day 39 - Preparation

I think this will be my last post for about 10 days as I am off to the Alps for a skiing vacation from tomorrow. I have my thermometer with me and will be on the lookout for a lake with ice that has a hole in it to take a quick dip (or a snow melt run-off stream). Hopefully someone will film it so I can put it on Youtube. Other than that I am sure that the water in the taps will be colder than the UK so I am hoping to report back that I was able to go down a few more degrees in temp. I didn't have any feedback as to what is the best way to do the really low temps (<5C) - whether to stay in only for a few minutes the first day and then build up the time or stick with 10 minutes and gradually reduce the temp - over the time I am there. I think I may just go with the first option and see how I get on.

Today I only managed a short cold shower but I think was good enough after yesterdays re-acquaintance. Temp outside is 6C so I may just go for a run later too.

The blog has not gone away - will be back with a vengeance on the 10th of March. Have fun while I am away and leave me a comment or two, please!

Temperature: 10C (Shower)
Duration: 4 minutes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good trip to the Alps! I think if you are trained with cold water, your endurance remains, even if you don't practice a few days. Chris

Toughpaul said...

In mountain streams where U have no control of temp, it's best to increase the length of immersion a bit each day. @ temps less than 5C I sugest no more than 10 mins max for the moment.
PL