Friday 20 February 2009

Day 30 & 31 - A month of Progress?

Well it has been a week of showers and I am missing the cold baths. More importantly a whole month of cold showers and baths at temps from 16C down to 7C, my lowest to date. Hopefully I will get back into the bath routine again soon. Next week will be difficult too as I am away in the Middle East (topping up the suntan hopefully too), so unless I buy tons of ice to ship back to my hotel and put in the bathtub it will be "warm" cold showers for the whole week. This may change the week after though as I will be up in the Alps above the snowline. Here's hoping for a few evening runs and rolls in the snow at temps well below freezing air temperature.

After a whole month of this new routine I suppose I should pen some thoughts for consideration:
  1. It has changed my way of thinking a little - every lake or stream I see from the window of a car or train becomes a potential place to cool off. Anyone else have that sensation/feeling?
  2. I am not afraid of the cold anymore - just more aware of my limits.
  3. My fitness has improved. My run on day 29 evening was around 13.5 minutes for the1.6 Mile run - not far off my current target time of 12. Maybe if I keep up my exercise routine while away I may be able to go a further distance or set a new goal time.
  4. My weight has dropped by almost 2Kg (4.5lbs)
  5. I need to tell my family what I am doing. It will be easier to practice this lifestyle change if things are out in the open.
  6. I want to get to the point where I can spend several minutes in ice cold water (below 2C) before summer really kicks in. Here's hoping the Alps prove to be the place to do just that - I know there is a stream close to the place I am staying that I can run to which may prove suitable.
  7. I will start running in only shorts and trainers from now on (OK, well maybe not in the alps except for a few minutes at a time, but certainly for my nightly runs in the UK).
If you don't see a post for a while you will know where I am - I have not stopped writing, just unable to get online. Why not send me a comment or a question to answer so that I am not bored and have lots to do when I get back from my trip(s)?

Temperature: 9C
Duration: 10 Minutes (day 30) and 12 Minutes (day 31 - of which 5 minutes straight was with the shower directly on my head despite the pain and temptation to get out)

Please dont forget to look at my playlist of videos collected about this topic on my Youtube link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good trip! and go on, it's very good. I'll continue too! Since I have daily cold shower and swin 1 or 2 time a week in cold water, I am also tougher in cold air; I can walk in shirt when it freeze (a few min,but I want to improve it gradually. Kind regards. Chris

Toughpaul said...

Hi Chris. Tell us more about your cold experiences..
----------
TM wrote... "Every lake or stream I see from the window of a car or train becomes a potential place to cool off. Anyone else have that sensation/feeling?"

-- Yes all the time, every pond I think "Do I fancy a dip!" PL.

"I need to tell my family what I am doing. It will be easier to practice this lifestyle change if things are out in the open."

-- Yes I agree. PL.

"I want to get to the point where I can spend several minutes in ice cold water (below 2C)"

-- Aim for 1-2 mins first day & increase time up to max 10mins. PL.

"I will start running in only shorts and trainers from now on."

-- I always do!! PL.