Wednesday 11 February 2009

Day 21 & 22 - Early Days of Cold

Right now I am frustrated. Firstly because I cant find any really cold water and secondly because even the outside air temperature is also so high that even if I went naked outside it would take only slow walking at a snails pace to keep warm. It will be another full day before I can get back to some semblance of cold in the UK. I wonder if it will be shock to get into water at below 10C again because for 3 full days I will have been using water at more than 20C for my daily routine.

I said I would share some of my early day recollections of cold. Unlike toughness group owner Paul, I didn't have a father that initiated me into this cold therapy by dipping in ice pools. I do recall, however, some schoolday experiences of Physical Education (PE) sessions at high school when I was aged 11-13 years old. In those days it was common to only wear white shorts (no underwear) and plimsolls (no socks) to PE. I think the exceptions were when you played sports such as rugby or football out on the field rather than being in the gym doing vaults, bars or rope climbing etc. In the outdoor sports you could also wear a t-shirt. As I did not like football or rugby the only alterntive offered was cross country. My school was near a public park and the school perimeter fence was open to the countryside so the natural cross country route was along public footpaths into the park and back via a different route. It was normal not to wear a t-shirt when doing cross country, even in winter.

I never like running either so taking this option was always a bit of a last resort for me. I did occasionally enjoy it however in the summer or when the sun was shining on a crisp cold day. The route used to take in one or two stream crossings and when there was a lot of rain the fields and footpaths used to flood. I recall on one of those flood days being quite cold and when running with a mate he dared me to sit in one of these very cold wet puddles of water and mud that were in our path. I suppose I was bit gung-ho and did it. I recall it was cold and I got colder as I ran back to the school heading for the hot showers. Did it give me a rush - yes, I reckon it did because I remember doing it again a few times. But then again it wasn't often because I would try and get out of doing anything too physical at that age. I wish I knew then what I know now - I would not be so timid and would throw myself into it wholeheartedly.

If you have similar experiences why dont you share them with me and I will post some of your stories on my blog too. Send me a comment or an e-mail.

Temperature: 20C
Duration: 10 Minutes

4 comments:

Toughpaul said...

I think topless PE/PT & cross country was common in the UK before I & my family arrived here in 1990, It seems not the case now.
But back in Hungary It was compulsory and still is, but with air temps of minus 20C in winter you are allowed gloves.
PL
((Remind me to post some pics!))

Anonymous said...

1963, near Manchester UK, coldest winter for years, I was 10. Shirtless X country compulsory & shirtless PE. Nude swimming in school-pool too (though it was heated)!

Nigel

Anonymous said...

I think it takes more sense to do PE shirtless.It is healthy and it encourages a boy becmoming more fit and take care of his body.For gymnastics shirts are dangerous especially for apparatus.
Toughpaul:Shirtless PE and cross country in Hungary?I'm from Hungary and I've never experienced that.What is the name of the school?

Thomas said...

It was certainly not unusual for boys to be topless in PE when I was at school in the early to mid 80s. However there was no hard and fast rule with regards to our PE kit; some teachers permitted vests or shirts to be worn, others made us take them off. Until I was 13 I always had a top on for PE but then we had a strict teacher who made it clear that he felt teenage boys needed toughening up. Straight away he made us do cross country stripped to our shorts, it was the first time I'd ever run without a top but, although it was cold I quite enjoyed the sensation of the breeze on my bare chest. Also as I got older and carried on running topless it made me feel more masculine.