Sunday 1 February 2009

Day 12 - A Good day

I stared the day with a 5 minute cold shower - to make up for yesterday - no time for more! It actually felt good although I still prefer immersion to a shower. I felt i should have stayed in longer.

I also started my exercise program today. I took a fast walk of about 3-4 miles after dinner (around 18h30 in the dark and alone). I started the walk on roads but then headed to open fields and footpaths close to my house. I was dressed in a button-up shirt, jeans and a winter jacket as well as having my walking boots on. There was a small amount of snow on the ground and the wind was quite chill - around 0C, and lower with the wind chill. As I walked I got hot after only 5 minutes so I undid the jacket and unbuttoned the shirt baring my chest. When I reached the open field I took both the jacket and shirt off and waked around topless for about 20 minutes before heading back to civilisation - I buttoned everything up for the last 500m or so and, surprisingly, I was nicely warm by the time I got home. I think I need to change the gear for the next walk - shorts, t-shirt, fleece and a light windproof jacket that I can stuff into a bum-bag. That should keep me generally cooler than tonight but give me ample warmth if I really need it. For safety, I also had my mobile phone with me. All I need now is an evening toughness walking buddy in my area.

I didn't feel cold at all, the skin went numb on my body and if I had worn shorts instead of jeans I probably would have taken those off too as I love to walk around naked in the moonlight. I still have a problem with my hands getting really cold on a day like today and quite painful. I know I can stand to put them in cold in water at 10C but in ice cold air with a wind chill is different in my view - warm hands means the rest of me doesn't feel cold (I think!). Will need a few more evenings of this to see if that is really the case. Maybe I need to work through the pain and cold in my hands.

Snow expected tonight so tomorrow evening's walk could also mean I could go naked or play naked in the snow when I am out.

Two questions for today:
  1. Is it really cheating when out doing "Toughness" walking/hiking to keep your gloves or a hat on?
  2. Do you think some pictures would help illustrate the things I am doing here?
Please leave a comment and let me know.


Temperature: 10C
Duration: 5 Minutes (shower)

1 comment:

Toughpaul said...

You Asked...
Is it really cheating when out doing "Toughness" walking/hiking to keep your gloves or a hat on?

If U need them, I think that's fine, though in time U may need them less. UR extremities may need to be kept warm if the temp is below freezing, U don't want frostbite, and it depends on UR circulation.

In temps from +5 to -5 keeping the torso & legs nude for about 1/2 to 1 hr is enough. At lower temps just be sensible & don't push it to stupid extreems. And *always* have warm clothes nearby [say within 100 yards] -- (Or if running cary them in a small backpack)

You Asked...
Do you think some pictures would help illustrate the things I am doing here?

Oh Yes please!!

PL