Friday 1 May 2009

3 Months in: let's drop the day count

Well, here we are at over 3 months of this routine now. It seems to be working for me at the moment. During the summer months I guess posts to this blog will become less frequent and only include highlights. From now on in I think it better to have more meaningful headlines rather than a day count.

At this point in time I am running around 10 -15 miles per week and swimming at least once per week of 1k to 2km each time. My weight is down to approximately 71Kg although this varies slightly from day to day depending on what I have eaten and how much exercise I have done.

As this is the first post for a couple of weeks I can tell you that since report that I have been taking cold showers each day and also swimming again (2km in one session taking around 75 minutes to complete that distance).

I can also report that I met up with a member of the toughness yahoo group (see link on the right) for a run up in Scotland. We did a run (for me more of a jog/walk) around 6 miles (10km) along a mixed tarmac/dirt trail around a local reservoir. The air temp was around 10C with a cooling wind. It was a bit more of an up/down path than my normal run so I did a fair amount of walking, especially up the steeper gradients.

We finished the run with a swim in a different lake of around 10 minutes duration. Water temp approx 9C to 10C. I was pretty cold and starting to shiver by the time I had finished drying myself off at the car afterwards, but did not feel cold at all in the water.

I was definitely not as fit as my running companion - but then he is almost 20 years younger than me and has been running and competing in events for quite a while. He is certainly a lot more acclimatised to the cold weather than I am.

Till next time......

No comments: