Wednesday 28 January 2009

Day 8 - Another Low (temperature)

Today started off well as I ran the bath the thermometer showed just under 10c - a personal best insofar as temp is concerned. Slightly different routine today too as I did not get into the water straight from bed - I had to go out early and took the bath mid-morning. Don't think the change in routine or temp made a difference. The water was not noticeably colder to my body as I got in, although I did keep to the timer today - my standard 10 minutes - plus the time it took to rinse the shampoo out of my hair at the end. I still gasp and breathe a little faster as my chest goes under the water - I wonder when I will stop doing that? Settling into a semi-lethargic state and becoming slowly aware of the cold seeping into my body was interesting today. Also, my hands stayed in the water the whole time today.

The colder water started to take its toll at around 7 minutes with a little light shivering in my torso (noticeably in my stomach muscles). This continued after I dried, exercised and dressed. I am still slightly shivering as I write this - around 15 minutes after I got out. Again, I think that this is normal (someone please tell me if I am wrong) as it fades and does not cause me any discomfort at all.

One of the reasons I started this regime was a bid to get fitter and to lose weight. Well, I haven't been able to get to the exercise part yet (apart from the odd press-up, sit-up or squat) to try and warm up my muscles after my bath however, over the past week, I have noticed a drop in weight. I think this must be because I am stressing my body and it is having to work and metabolise some of my stored fat to keep my body warm. The loss is relatively significant (Weight at the start - eight days ago: 73.6Kg, Weight today: 71.5Kg). I think that once I start walking, running and swimming in addition to the cold water therapy I will need to up my calorie intake to compensate. I should try and find out what my body fat percentage is and keep track of that too I suppose.

I wonder if skinny muscular people with a low body fat% or larger people with high body fat% are more adept at this cold water stuff. I can see the argument for both being good at it. I think I fit into the former category, but I would not classify myself as "good" at this yet. What body type are you? How well do you cope? - let me know.

Temperature: 10C
Duration: 11 Minutes

1 comment:

Toughpaul said...

If UR still shivering after 15 mins U need to do more vigerous exercise.

Skinny people loose heat faster but muscle generates heat. Fat people loose heat slower, but unless they have hidden muscle under the fat they don't generate heat as fast.

Cooling the body daily will burn extra calories, though I don't know of a formula for calculating how much.

PL