Tuesday 27 January 2009

Day 7 - 1 week complete!

Can't believe I have been doing this for a full week already. Yesterday I finally got to the shops and bought a garden thermometer which reads from around -10C to +40C. Not too worried about the accuracy - just for me to get an idea as to where I am on the temperature scale. Also this is the last of the catch-up posts so you will have to wait for a daily update from now on.

Water straight from the tap again. I resist the temptation to see how cold it is before I get in as it may put me off - I wait till the end of the session to find out the temp was 11C. Not as cold as I thought it should have been. I am a little disappointed it is not lower than this. I guess I have to wait for the weather to get colder or find a pool, pond or lake to swim in to get down to lower temps.

I shaved first this morning straight from bed in warm water- a much better result on face, chest and pubic region - silky smooth skin and no blood today!

I start the timer as usual when I get in. I still gasp a little when my chest goes under the water. A quick shampoo and rinse and then lie back. No unexpected sensual problems today! Although as the session went on I did start to sport the start of an erection - is this a normal body reaction to the cold? Is this the sensual gratification you get out of cold water sports?

I decided the fear about my hands yesterday was irrational and decide that today I should keep them in the water as long as possible. They start off getting painful very quickly but I persevere and the pain disappeared over time. Another pain barrier broken.

Today for the very first time I think I started to enjoy the sensation of the cold. In fact, so much so that when the timer went off I decided to stay in the water for longer - a whole 3 minutes as it turned out. By that time I was just starting to shiver lightly. Only a few press-ups after the session to warm up and then dressed straight away. Took me a long time to warm up (I was only beginning to feel comfortable again about an hour afterwards). Is this usual or am I just pushing myself too far, too fast?

Temperature: 11C
Duration: 13 Minutes

1 comment:

Toughpaul said...

OK a few comments...

Thermometer accuracy... Take 1-doz ice cubes from frige [made from plain water] Place with the thermometer in cup/mug. When the ice is *HALF* melted the mixture should read 0.5C. Use this to callibrate the thermometer.

Shaving... Sorry but, it's a bit like signing the pledge. "I will never use hot water again, etc, etc." Best if you train UR body to *never* expect hot water, unless UR ill. Therefore hot shaving is out! Go electric my man! ;-)

Pain in hands.... Go with the pain it will happen less each time.

PL