Thursday 31 January 2013

The snow has gone

Having the Snow around for a while did give me opportunities to explore some of my cold limits and establish a new cold/duration personal best.  This week in the UK the weather has been considerably warmer temperature wise but with more rain and wind.

Now the snow has gone, that doesn't mean that the fun is over.  I have been out running shirtles on 3 occasions since last Friday with this morning's run proving the coldest of the week so far.  I found small stream close to where I am this week that offers some opportunties for wallowing in shallow cold water. So I managed to get 2 x 2-minute dips in during the return leg of the run. I did not really feel cold during the run but I did feel that my muscles were not as flexible and I think I ran the last  leg a lot slower than I normally would have.  If I get the chance to do the same run early in the day tomorrow I will have to do the 2 minute dips on the outward run as well as the return leg to see how that affects me. 

After having breakfast upon getting home I then ran a cold bath (water out of the tap 6C) and managed to stay in that for 20 minutes before getting out.  Sure I was cold and shivered for a while afterwards but not that bad.  I think I am getting used to this. 

I think I am also getting used to the shvering part, what I am not getting used to is the fact that my fingers and toes become stiff and very cold and painful (and white until the circulation returns to them). 

No comments: