Friday 18 January 2013

Scotland Run/Swim

I spent most of this past week up in Scotland near Stirling.  While I was there I met up for a run and a swim with an online buddy (let's call him Joe) who is a very keen cold weather runner and swimmer.  We had been discussing what we were going to do and where we were to run by e-mail in the days beforehand. We also decided that as the place would likely be deserted that we would run only in speedo swimwear (he is a barefoot runner - I ran in my Nike running shoes). 

He met me at my hotel and then I drove us out to Glen Finglas reservoir near Callander for a late afternoon start.  On the way the temperature kept dropping and was close to freezing by the time we reached the small car park that was to be our starting point.  Increasing amounts of snow also lay on the ground the closer we got to our destination.  After parking the car we stripped off to our Speedos and got ready to run.

The first part of the trail is actually a steep and winding tarmac road which then turns to gravel after about 1.5km.  After the initual climb the road winds its way down to the head of the lake away from the reservoir wall.  The road was covered in snow and quite icy in parts so hampered our speed as we needed to avoid falling. 

This is a view of the lake from one of the higher points in which you can see the gravel trail path in the foreground:


After about 35 minutes we were close to the lakeside near the far end of the picture and decided to take a short swim before heading back.  Joe's watch showed a water temp of around 4C once we got in the water. This is the coldest water I have swum in.   We swam and stood in the water for around 5 minutes before getting out and heading back the same way we came in retracing our path along the trail.  The run was close to 9km in total. 

It was definitely colder on the way back (maybe I was just colder) and because I kept my shoes on when I swam (as I knew that if i took them off I would nevere be able to re-tie the laces with my cold hands) my feet became colder and my laces froze into position on the way back.  My hands were painful too as I did not wear gloves the whole run.  It took a while to thaw out in the car but by the time we reached the hotel I felt quite normal but elated and refreshed with "tingling" skin. 

Not the coldest run air temperature wise that I have ever done but with the swim at the far point of the run it does not leave you with many options to warm your body up on the return leg except to run faster. 

Regrettably I was not able to get any more runs or swims in with Joe this time around. However, there is snow on the ground in the South of the UK today so I may get a good snow run in tomorrow morning. And there is always a next time for a trip to Scotland.

One interesting incident happened on the run: That was that we were passed by what may have been a ranger or local farmer in his Land Rover on the gravel track.  Initially he waved at us as he went past but after  a few minutes he returned and asked us if this was a "dare" or what? And if we were "OK"?  We assured him that we were fine and that we were used to doing this type of crazy thing.  With that he turned around and we never saw im again.  I bet he had a few conversations about  that encounter in the local pub or with his wife that evening!  

1 comment:

Mark said...

Great to hear about your time in Scotland. Would like to be able to go somewhere to run and swim in that way. Work is taking me down to London at the end of the week, so hoping to get a swim in at the Highgate Ponds in Hampstead Heath. They are currently 3C which would be my coldest swim.