Thursday 7 February 2013

Highgate Men's Pond - Hampstead Heath

I had read a lot about Highgate Men's Pond at Hamsptead Heath and the fact that it is open year round but I have never had the opportunity to visit it until an unexpected business trip came up to London this week and I realised I would have the time to fit a short visit in to have a winter swim there. 

The approach and changing facilities at the pond are very communal and have a "retro" 1950's feel about them.  Although I took my camera I forgot about it until after I left so I am afraid you will have to look for pics on the net. There is a video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5mF4y68Fik which gives you a fairly good impression of the place.

I got there around 10h00 and there were 2 other older guys there changing at the same time as me.   I spoke to the lifeguards (2 on duty the day I was there) just to let them know it was my first time as I went to swim.  The water was a cool 4C and I managed to stay in for around 6 minutes but coud have done quite a lot longer.  The water is quite deep so I had no opportuity to stand so was swimming the entire time.  There is a cordoned off swimming area with ropes for the winter (to limit the distance the lifeguards have to swim to rescue you?) but this is large enough to get a good distance swim in.  The other swimmers were impressed that I stayed in the water longer than they did (and they tell me they swim almost every day)!

The water was of good quality and well worth a second visit soon while the water is still cold.  If you need any pointers or more info write me a comment. 

1 comment:

John Jones said...

Have you heard of the proposals for works on the Hampstead Heath Ponds including the one you swim in?
See www.ProtectOurPinds,org.uk