Wednesday 9 January 2013

On Monday I could not sleep so went out for a run at around 05h30 in the dark on one of my normal runs using a head-torch.  It's quite a different way to run as the limited light means you need to tread a little more carefully.  As I had more time than normal for a run I decided to run to the little stream where I knew I could get a cold water dip in.  And as it was so dark once I got to the woods I decided to strip off my shorts to get maximum cold exposure and got around 10k of the 14 k run in that state.  It was not that cold (maybe 5C) but it was a little misty.

Once at the stream I took the plunge and spent around 5 minutes in the water and then carried on with my run.  I dont know what the temperature of the stream was but it did not feel much colder than the air and my body got used to the temperature quite quickly.

I warmed up a bit on the run home and then took a cold shower to wash the mud off me.  I did not shiver much on the run, swim or shower but as I was warming up afterwards I did shiver quite a lot.

I am away from home for a few days now and have been pursuing some more cold weather and cold water activities that have been interesting.  I am further north in the UK than my home town and the water  out of the tap is definitely much colder.  So today I also took a long cold bath after I woke up.

I managed around 20 minutes.  The shivering started at around 8 minutes and lasted quite a while.  I managed to keep my head under the water for a few minutes too which is an improvement over past times I have tried that.  I noticed that towards the end my heart rate had slowed a bit but did not have chance to see how much slower it was.

I shivered quite a lot afterwards while warming up but my hands and feet were OK and seemed to recover mobility quite quickly. 

The weather is due to get colder tonight so I may try and get out for a run in the morning in below freezing temps around where I am staying.  I will let you know the outcome. 

No comments: