Saturday 13 February 2010

Weekend Update

As it turned out I didn't go for a run on Thursday. I felt lazy and stayed in bed till it was way too late to hit the pond run again. It was cold too, -2C. Coldest this week and I missed it! From the weather forecast I am going to have to wait till next weekend for similarly cold temperatures again.

I punished myself Friday for the laziness though. Air temp was hovering around 0C with the occasional snow flurry as I ran shirtless with my running partner pushing us hard to the fastest time we have done to date 35m24s for 7.1km. A full 40seconds plus off the best time so far. My reward was a cold shower of 5 minutes. My next goal for the standard route is to do it in less than 35 minutes.

Today, Saturday, I went off with some mates for a slightly longer (55minutes) shirtless mixed country track and road run in -1C air temp with quite a strong wind chill. All the other guys bar one were in full track suits with multiple clothing layers on! The run was quite hilly and slow (6m55s per km) compared to my normal pace (approx 5m30s per km) but adequate enough to keep warm and have a decent conversation along the way too which makes a change. I mapped the run on www.mapmyrun.com and it worked out at 8km.

I am considering entering my first 10k race soon in the UK. Problem is, I dont know whether race organisers allow you to run without a vest (which is what I want to do). Anyone know if UK athletics or race organisers of official races will let you run shirtless? Please let me know via the comments section.

No comments: