Tuesday 9 February 2010

Bahtime again

After a long break from taking cold baths I managed to eventually get into one today. I have no idea what the water temperature was but I reckon it must have been below 10C (based on past experience) as it came straight out the cold tap at the hotel and we have had some really cold weather in the UK recently. I stayed in the water for 10 full minutes with no shivering at all. I could have stayed longer but I was pressed for time and needed to get to a meeting - so it was just 10 minutes. There was a nice numbness to my skin when I got out that I have not felt for a while. It really needs to be close to zero to get the really numbing effects that I like the best though

No run today but with the temperatures starting to fall in general across the UK and with snow forecast for where I live I think the next few days could make for some interesting runs and comments from other walkers/runners (and motorists?). If i get to run on my own I may try a route that takes me past the local pond twice (one on the way out and once on the way back) for a 2 or 3 minute dip each time. Last time I went past the pond on a run there was ice on the top so I guess the water is close to zero underneath the ice too.

For those of you that are keen to see the type of thing I would really like to do in cold water, there have been a number of new videos posted by many different and new members on Youtube. Take a look at the cold water swimming playlists in my profile on the right to view them. The latest are in the "more cold water swimming video" section. Enjoy.

No comments: