Wednesday 17 February 2010

10km and a Pond dip

Today was a good day. 2C air temp, the occasional drop of rain or drizzle and an early start for exploring different footpaths to stay off the roads. I started off on my normal route but then varied it by taking a different footpath at around the 3km mark that I have not taken before.

More exploring on various and different paths in the woods and after about 40 minutes from the start I come to the pond where I strip off and take a dip of around 4 minutes in the murky 2c to 3C water (I really do have to find a place where the water is less fetid - good job I shower as soon as I get home). Suitably cooled off I head into the more dense part of the wood naked to dry off as I run. Around 1km later I get to the edge of the woods where I put my shorts back on to cross the road and head home, about half of it on the road.

Including my time at the pond and stopping to get my bearings on occasion I took around 64 minutes for the entire 10km distance that I ran (a couple of steep >5% incline uphill sections I walked because I can walk them faster than jogging). I am happy that I effectively ran the 10k distance in less than 1 hour.

Hoping for colder weather tomorrow so that I can push the same distance again but maybe in more harsh conditions and in a better time now that I have the new route mapped out.

p.s. Anyone know the easiest way to keep your hands warm when running? I hate wearing gloves, especially when running without a shirt - it just looks plain odd!

No comments: