Tuesday 1 February 2011

Pushing the boundaries

Yesterday I went for a run with a friend. This is nothing unusual as I run with friends all the time. Except that this friend is more than 20 year younger and in training for a Marathon in a few months' time. The distance we set was more than either of us had ever run in a single training session before and really pushed us both to a new level. We covered just over 30km (19miles) in under 3 hours with only a short stop to refuel and drink some water at around the halfway mark.

It was cold at the start (-2C) but there was very little wind and the sky was clearing with a high possibility of sunshine warming things up later. Although I had thought about running with a shirt on seeing as I knew we would be on the road for a long time I asked my mate what he thought and he said "what are you most comfortable with?". I replied that I prefer to run without a shirt and at that point the decision was made: no shirt.

The temperature when we finished was around +1C or +2C so I survived a full 3 hours in what many would say are very cold conditions. There were a few comments passed by other walkers and runners out on the route like the normal "Are you mad?"; "Don't you feel cold?"; and the best of the day from a passing runner kitted out wearing leggings, shorts, 2 shirts, gloves and a hat: "I thought I was crazy!"

I enjoyed the run and the company, we chatted along the way and encouraged each other a lot. I only walked on one very steep section of trail for less than 200m. It was a tough run but enjoyable and yes, I can still walk today!

As its the end of the month I think an update on a few other things is in order too. Total running distance covered in January: 169km (105 miles). Weight at the end of January 66.2kg.

I guess all of this made me think that:
1. Running a full marathon is now a real possibility and within my grasp
2. I should never even think about wearing a shirt when running
3. You only learn about what is possible when you push yourself to new limits and set goals (i.e. running distance; shorter time for a race; cold endurance temperature and/or time)
4. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would be able to do any of this I would have told you that you were crazy

What things have you been able to discover about yourself when you push your boundaries? I would be interested to hear about them. Post a comment below or send me an e-mail.

2 comments:

GeorgeTSLC said...

Congratulations on all 4 listed items.

And did your friend also run shirtless?

Tremendi said...

George
No, my friend was wearing a long sleeved body armour undershirt with a t-shirt over the top.
We were both comfortable.