Wednesday 15 April 2009

Day 85 - Cold Water Videos

I had a cold shower again this morning. I don't know what the temp of the water is at the moment as I haven't measured it in many days. I did enjoy the sensation this morning more than most. Maybe this is because i am getting used to it as a long term part of my life, or maybe its because I was feeling more energised this morning and got in with view of really enjoying the water.

Now that the winter season here in the northern hemisphere is over it is interesting to trawl through some of the video websites such as Youtube to see what other cold water people have been getting into. There are a lot of "Polar bear" swims in some of the colder countries (Canada, USA, Germany, Estonia, Latvia, Russia and others) and others where there are organised cold water swimming groups or clubs. Polar Bear events are typically one-off events on a specific day (such as Christmans Day, New Year's Day or Epiphany) whereas the club events are more geared to regular, organised swims or dips (daily, weekly or monthly).

A number of these events have photos or videos taken of them and are posted for all to see. There is a collection of these in my links and playlists on the right of this post. I must say that the open water swims tend to be the most appealing to me such as this 500m+ swim one done in 2C water by Youtube poster Ujumine (click here for video). Whilst I have not done this yet myself I certainly will be making every effort todo so next winter or whenever the opportunity arises.

There are other Youtube users such as Ulysse3329, ToughPaul and blechdose2, who also seem to share this love of cold water swimming and endurance. If you know of any more people, vidoes or other sites related to coldwater swimming and endurance, please let me know.

No comments: