Monday 4 January 2016

Cold water showers

One of the hardest things for me to do is to get directly into a cold water shower directly from my bed in the morning, especially the first 30 seconds or so.  This winter I have tried a new technique which seems to work for me and is a lot less harsh and a shock to the system.

I now start off with a reasonable temperature from the showerhead get all soaped up and then I turn the temperature dial down a notch.  I have numbers on the shower temp selector that go from 1 to 8.  However you can override the control and go full cold or full hot.

Every 30 seconds or so I turn the dial down a notch till I hit  the number 1 and then after another 30 seconds or so I just turn it to full cold and stay there under the shower rose for a few minutes.  I find that when I get out the shower after using this method I warm up pretty quick  - well faster than if I start full cold and then turn the heat up a little to take the chill off before getting out. 

If you decide to try this, let me know how you get on in the comments section.


1 comment:

GP said...

Taking a fully cold shower, no matter what time of the day, if difficult for me the very first minute. After the initial stage has passed, I am okay with it and would pass a stage that kind of like "runner's high" that I enjoy it.

I did do a similar method that you described when I am not taking fully cold shower to start with. The difference is that I would turn the dial to semi cold and then fully cold at the end of my shower,usually less than a minutes, not as you that you stay under fully cold for a few minutes. I will try to stay longer in the future.