Thursday 21 October 2010

First Cold Days of Autumn 2010

The past 2 days here in the South East of England have been the coldest of the Autumn season so far. Air temps last night dipped well below zero and there was a significant depth of ice (3-4mm) on rainwater puddles in open areas and a heavy ground frost much in evidence. Yesterday was only slightly warmer - just above freezing with the thermometer in the car showing air temps varying from 0.5C to 3.5C when driving to and from the place I went for a run.

I had not planned to go out this morning but as it was cold and clear (and I am a sucker for running when it is very cold) I am glad I did. To feel the cold air on one's bare chest, arms and legs is really quite refreshing after the much warmer temperatures of the summer. Once you get out there and adjust to the cold it doesn't feel or seem so cold anymore.

For those that want to try it - start small and work up. Do a short run of only a few minutes and build up over time. I ran for around 50 minutes today and 1h10m yesterday. I topped the run off this morning with a cold shower - progressing to luke warm after about 3 or 4 minutes. I promise you that there are no lasting adverse effects!

One final thing - I think I may have found a place I can take a dip to cool off mid-run. On one run I did last week I ran along a clean, swiftly flowing stream with a few areas which would allow easy access. I may try that out early one morning, next week. I'll let you all know how I get on.

No comments: